Tripled up on Striped bass
February 23rd, 2012
I hit the water around 4:30 a.m. and started by hitting up some lights. I took some video of the day on the water, which highlights some of the days events. The Striped Bass bite continues to be hot, while most fish caught are in the 6-10 pound range. The number of fish caught continues to be high, with all our fish being caught on several different kinds of umbrella rigs. I had another triple up on my custom tied umbrella rig today. We used both swim baits and bucktails with equal success. 80% of our fish were caught around thirty feet, with the other 20% being caught between 15-25 feet. White or white/chart. color lures continue to be the top color choices. The only thing that slowed us down was, ever umbrella rig I had was in knots after taking a beating from the stripers. I have about 34 jigs and swimbaits to re-rig. I hate when they get so tangled, but it's a good thing cause it means were catching fish. As for the bass fishing, we only fished with two lures. Between an Alabama Rig and a Shakeyhead, that's all we needed. While we caught mostly smaller fish, the bite seemed to be pretty good. We fished from Misty Harbor to Goat Island today with one place paying off way better than the other. I have a busy weekend on the water, so i'll leave it at that. Make sure to checkout my website over the weekend, I'll have a new video from today's fishing up and pictures too.
If your interested in fishing Smith lake give me a call or email.
About The Author: Mike Walker
Company: Fishing 24-7 Guide Service
Area Reporting: Smith lake
Bio: My names Mike Walker. I run Fishing 24-7 Guide Service located in Birmingham, Al. Smith lake is where I call home. My top targets are stripe bass and bass. I also fish several other lakes in the state, including Lay lake where I grew up.